Tags & Titles
Renew Vehicle Tags
We have made it easy for you to renew your vehicle tags from anywhere. Even if you are late.
Remind Me to Renew
Want to be reminded when your vehicle tags are due? We now offer email and text notifications.
For more information on Motor Vehicles click HERE
AUTOMOBILE AND BOAT TITLES
TITLES WILL NOT BE PROCESSED AFTER 3:30 P.M.
Important Vehicle Information
- You must have Alabama insurance on your vehicle before it can be tagged.
- You must have a drivers license number or ID number when registering a vehicle.
- When transferring ownership on a title, the purchaser(s) must be here to sign the title application unless they give someone Power of Attorney for them.
- You must be a resident of Autauga County to have vehicles registered here.
- Anytime our office applies for a first time Alabama title on a vehicle, the vehicle will need to be here for inspection.
- You have 20 calendar days from the date of purchase to register your vehicle.
- If you do not renew your tag during your renewal month or if you are over your 20 days registering your vehicle, a $15.00 penalty will be added.
- We do not inspect vehicles after 3:30 or when it is raining.
- Alabama does not title watercraft.
- We accept the following methods of payment only: cash, check, and money orders. Visa, MasterCard and Discover are accepted with a 2.5% service fee. We do not accept out of state checks, unless you are an active member of the military.
In-State Title Transfers
Buyer must present the following documents:
- Original title signed over to buyer on back of title
- Bill of Sale
Buyer will pay the following fees:
- Title fee of $18.00
- Sales tax of 3.1% or 2.6% of purchase price (if purchased from an individual).
- Any applicable ad valorem tax and license fees
- No strike-outs or alterations are permitted in assignments. All signatures must be identical to names on the supporting documents. White-out will void the title completely.
If the previous owner of the vehicle is deceased, the following applies:
- If will was probated, buyer will present documents noted above along with “Letters of Testamentary.”
- If will was not probated, buyer will present a copy of the death certificate and a “Next of Kin” form which must include the notarized signature of the individual named as next of kin.
- All documents must have the signature of the above named individual, i.e., title, bill of sale, etc.
REGISTRATION AND TAG RENEWAL
For information about registering your vehicle or renewing your tag, click HERE